© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Quinoa Quesadillas
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Perfect as a vegetarian main, these quesadillas are filled with hearty quinoa and smoked gouda.
Slideshow: Quinoa Recipes
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 8 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 3 ounces smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine the quinoa, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Gently simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Keeping the pan covered, let stand for 5 minutes, or until the remaining water is absorbed. Remove the lid and gently fluff the quinoa. Set aside to cool completely.
- Toss the two cheeses to combine them. Divide and spread half of the cheese on top of 4 tortillas. Add a heaping 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa on top of each of the cheese layers. Add a final layer of cheese and gently spread the layers evenly around tortilla, leaving a little empty gap at the edges. Top with the remaining tortillas.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Place a filled tortilla on the pan, and cook the tortilla for about 3 minutes or until the bottom is golden. Carefully flip the quesadilla and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the second side is golden and the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining quesadillas. Allow each to cool for a few minutes before cutting into 4 to 6 pieces.
Serve WithSalsa, guacamole and sour cream.