Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Quinoa Quesadillas
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
These perfect vegetarian quesadillas are filled with cooked quinoa for texture and wonderful smoked gouda cheese for flavor.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 8 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 3 ounces smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine the quinoa, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, and after the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Gently simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (there may still be some water not yet absorbed). Remove from heat.
- Keeping the pan covered, let it stand for 5 minutes, or until the remaining water is absorbed.
- Remove the lid and gently fluff the quinoa. Set aside to cool completely.
- Toss the two cheeses to combine them. Divide and spread half of the cheese on top of 4 tortillas.
- Add a heaping 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa on top of each of the cheese layers. Add a final layer of cheese and gently spread the layers evenly around tortilla, leaving a little empty gap at the edges of tortilla. Place another tortilla on top.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Place the filled tortilla on the pan, and cook the tortilla for about 3 minutes or until the first side is golden, then carefully flip over the quesadilla and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the second side is golden and the cheese is completely melted.