- 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- 16 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 16 ounces coarsely shredded smoked Gouda cheese (about 4 cups)
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until brown and crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a cutting board and chop into 1-inch pieces. Reserve the fat.
- Arrange 8 of the tortillas on a work surface and top each with bacon and cheese. Season with a pinch each of salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Place remaining 8 tortillas on top to make 8 quesadillas.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat (or vegetable oil, if desired). Add the quesadillas and cook over moderately high heat until golden and crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board and cut into wedges. Serve immediately.
These quesadillas can be assembled up to 2 days in advance, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to fry.
Salsa and guacamole.