Smoked Gouda and Bacon Burgers with Barbecue Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Brian Perrone was reluctant to put a burger on the Slows Bar BQ menu because he wanted to focus on barbecue. At the insistence of his partners, he came up with this patty melt-style burger topped with smoked Gouda, sweet house-made barbecue sauce and hot sauce-spiked onions. He’s glad he did: It was an instant hit.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 1-pound onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Frank’s RedHot or other hot sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of firm white bread
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck (20 percent fat), formed into 4 patties the same size as the bread slices
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup Sweet Barbecue Sauce
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the sliced onion and a pinch of salt, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the onion is crisp-tender and just turning translucent, 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce and beef broth and remove from the heat. Season with salt.
- Heat a large griddle. Spread the butter on 1 side of each bread slice and griddle buttered side down over moderate heat until toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the toasts to a plate. Add the bacon to the griddle and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 4 minutes per side; drain on paper towels. Wipe off the griddle.
- Season the beef patties with salt and cook on the griddle over moderately high heat until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side. Top each burger with 1/4 cup of smoked Gouda and cook until the cheese melts, 1 minute.
- Set the burgers on the unbuttered sides of 4 toasts. Top with the bacon, onion and Sweet Barbecue Sauce. Close the burgers and serve, passing more barbecue sauce at the table.
Slows boasts a superb lineup of beers on tap—mostly from Michigan—and this indulgent burger can handle a beer with pretty assertive hops. Try Bell’s Third Coast Old Ale or New Holland Brewing’s Mad Hatter IPA, both from Slows’s home state.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.