- 1 pound small Bintje, Yukon Gold or other yellow potatoes, halved but not peeled
- 1 cup pickled green beans or yellow wax beans, drained and cut into 2-inch lengths, plus 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces upland cress or watercress (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup small parsley sprigs
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch- by- 1/4-inch sticks
- 1/2 pound smoked bluefish, mackerel or trout, skinned and coarsely shredded
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
How to make this recipe
- Put the potato halves in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Add a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Boil over moderately high heat until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the bean pickling liquid with the cider vinegar, mustard, honey, mustard seeds and cayenne pepper. Whisk in the oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the dressing to the warm potatoes and toss. Add the cress, parsley, celery, pickled beans, smoked fish and the remaining dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to plates, arrange the eggs on top and serve.
One serving: 311 cal, 17 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 32 gm carb, 3 gm fiber, 7 gm protein.
Minerally Chenin Blanc.