- Two 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 1/2 pound smoked trout fillets, skinned and flaked
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound red-skinned potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan. Add the onion and celery and stir over moderately high heat for about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and thyme and cook until just heated through, about 1 minute. Add the clam juice and 1 1/2 cups of hot water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover and cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 7 minutes. Add the trout, corn and cream. Cover and cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Trefethen Dry Riesling from California or Delas Frères Viognier from France.