Smoked Duck Salad with Foie Gras and Walnuts
- SERVINGS: 4
Don't let the ingredients in this recipe scare you away. It's worth a trip to a specialty market—and it's simple to prepare.
- 12 walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 tablespoon walnut or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups packed mixed salad greens
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 pound smoked duck breast (see Note), skin removed, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Fine sea salt
- Chives, for garnish
- 1/4 pound chilled foie gras terrine or mousse (see Note), chilled and sliced to match the duck breast
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Put the walnuts on a pie plate and bake for 6 minutes, or until fragrant and browned. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a large bowl, whisk the walnut, olive and canola oils with the walnut and sherry vinegars. Add the shallot and season with salt and pepper. Add the salad greens and tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Mound the salad on plates and top with alternating slices of duck breast and foie gras. Sprinkle the foie gras with sea salt, garnish with the chives and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.