- 12 walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 tablespoon walnut or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups packed mixed salad greens
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 pound smoked duck breast (see Note), skin removed, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Fine sea salt
- Chives, for garnish
- 1/4 pound chilled foie gras terrine or mousse (see Note), chilled and sliced to match the duck breast
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Put the walnuts on a pie plate and bake for 6 minutes, or until fragrant and browned. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a large bowl, whisk the walnut, olive and canola oils with the walnut and sherry vinegars. Add the shallot and season with salt and pepper. Add the salad greens and tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Mound the salad on plates and top with alternating slices of duck breast and foie gras. Sprinkle the foie gras with sea salt, garnish with the chives and serve.
Walnut vinegar is available by mail order from Balducci's (800-346-8763). Smoked duck breast and foie gras terrine and mousse are available in specialty-food stores and by mail order from D'Artagnan.