- 1 pound medium asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups (packed) mixed baby greens, such as frisée and lolla rosa
- 1 pound smoked chicken breast, skin removed, thinly sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, quartered, or 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, shallots, mustard, five-spice powder, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the mixed greens, sliced chicken, tomatoes and asparagus. Add the dressing, toss well and serve.
A round, fruity California Chardonnay will complement the smoky chicken.