- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup smoked almonds (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or buttered parchment paper. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Using a moistened pastry brush, brush down any crystals from the side of the pan. Cook the syrup until it registers 235° to 240º on a candy thermometer. Add the almonds and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until a deep-amber caramel forms and the thermometer registers 300°, about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the butter and then the baking soda; the caramel will bubble. Pour the hot candy onto the baking sheet and spread it in an even layer with the back of a spoon. Let cool slightly, then carefully pull the warm caramel into a thin layer. Let cool completely, then break into shards.
The brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.