Smoked Acorn Squash
- SERVINGS: 4 side-dish servings
The hollows of the halved squash hold a mixture of mustard and maple syrup that becomes a delicious sauce.
- Two 2-pound acorn squash, halved crosswise and seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light Tea-Smoking Mixture
- In a steamer basket set over 1 inch of boiling water, steam the squash halves, covered, over moderate heat until tender when pierced, about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, maple syrup and mustard. Pour one-quarter of this mixture into the hollow of each squash half. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the butter to each and season with salt and pepper.
- Smoke the squash according to the Basic Wok-Smoking Method, hollow side up, for 15 minutes. Serve warm.