Smashed Zucchini with Garlic, Chiles and Mint
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
Jamie Oliver prefers using small zucchini for this fantastic spread, which he serves with toasted flat breads or over pasta. He also mixes it with ricotta as a filling for ravioli.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dried red chiles, stemmed and chopped
- 8 small zucchini (2 1/2 pounds), 4 thinly sliced and 4 thickly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Moroccan Chickpea Flat Breads, for serving
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and chiles and cook over moderately high heat, stirring until the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Add all the zucchini, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until very tender and chunky, about 40 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, break up any large pieces of zucchini. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the mint and lemon juice. Serve warm or at room temperature with the Moroccan Chickpea Flat Breads.
Make AheadThe zucchini can be refrigerated for 2 days. Bring to room temperature and stir in the mint and lemon juice just before serving.