Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Five-Spice Marshmallows
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: 12
Joanne Chang prepares her own marshmallows for these sweet potatoes, doctored with five-spice powder, but store-bought marshmallows work very well, too.
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 10 1/2-ounce bag mini marshmallows (6 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, until tender when pierced; let cool slightly. Halve the sweet potatoes and scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Add the milk, butter and brown sugar and coarsely mash. Season the sweet potatoes with salt and black pepper and spread them in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Lower the oven temperature to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, toss the marshmallows with the five-spice powder until coated. Scatter the marshmallows over the sweet potatoes and bake for about 45 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are hot and the marshmallows are golden and lightly puffed.