Smashed Potatoes with Caviar
- SERVINGS: MAKES 30 HORS D'OEUVRES
- 30 small Yukon Gold potatoes, about 2 inches in diameter, scrubbed
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 6 ounces salmon caviar
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- In a large pot of salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil. Cook the potatoes over moderately high heat until tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Working with 1 potato at a time and using a small plate, press down to flatten the potatoes to a 3/4-inch thickness, keeping them intact.
- Arrange the smashed potatoes on large serving platters. Season the potatoes with salt. Top each smashed potato with a dollop of sour cream and 1 teaspoon of salmon caviar. Garnish with the chives and serve at once.
Make Ahead The potatoes can be boiled up to 6 hours ahead and kept at room temperature. Cover the potatoes loosely with foil and rewarm them in a 325° oven for 10 to 15 minutes before smashing and serving.
The brisk acidity and effervescence of a good brut sparkling wine will provide a bright contrast to the caviar's delicate, mildly salty flavors. Choose a bottling with hints of lemon and a creamy texture.