Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HR 30 MIN Plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: 8
More Chili Recipes
- 1 cup navy or Great Northern beanssoaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- Two 15-ounce cans hominy, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure ancho or New Mexico chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pure chipotle chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped red onion, cilantro leaves and tortilla chips, for serving
- In a slow cooker, combine the beans with the hominy, bell peppers, onion, carrot, garlic, mushrooms, ancho and chipotle chile powder, cumin, coriander, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high until the beans are tender and the sauce is thickened, about 4 hours.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and serve with shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped red onion, cilantro leaves and tortilla chips.
Make AheadThe chili can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.