- One 3-pound meaty ham bone
- 2 cups split peas (12 ounces)
- 3 large celery ribs, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 large thyme sprigs
- 10 cups water
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- In a large slow cooker, combine the ham bone, split peas, celery, onion and thyme sprigs. Add the water, cover and cook on high for 7 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the ham bone to a bowl and cover. Discard the thyme sprigs and onion. Add the carrots to the soup. Cover and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender and the soup is thickened, about 5 hours longer.
- Remove the meat from the ham bone and cut it into bite-size pieces. Stir the meat into the soup and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.