Slow Cooker Spicy Brisket with Texas Caviar
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 6 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds top brisket
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon hot barbecue spice blend or Cajun spice blend
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 1/2 cups black-eyed peas
- In a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Sprinkle the brisket all over with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the spice blend. Add the brisket to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until well-browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the brisket to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of the spice blend and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the stock and the tomatoes and their juices to the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping to release the browned bits on the bottom. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Turn the heat to low and cook for 1 hour longer.
- Add the black-eyed peas to the cooker, cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours, until the brisket and peas are tender.
- Transfer the brisket to a carving board. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 15 minutes. Season the sauce with salt. Carve the brisket into 1/3 inch thick slices and using a large spatula, carefully return the brisket to the cooker. Turn off the cooker and let the brisket rest in the sauce for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour before serving.
Peppery, jammy Zinfandel.