- One 28-ounce jar sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 bockwursts
- 7 ounces garlic sausage, cut crosswise into thick pieces
- 1/4 pound piece of slab bacon, cut crosswise into 4 pieces
- One 1/2-pound ham steak, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- Dijon mustard and steamed potatoes, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a slow cooker, mix the sauerkraut with the onion, chicken broth, wine, caraway seeds and bay leaf. Nestle the bockwursts, garlic sausage and bacon in the sauerkraut. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours, until the sauerkraut is flavorful and the bacon is tender. Add the ham steak, cover and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Spoon the choucroute into shallow bowls, sprinkle with the parsley and serve with mustard and steamed potatoes.
The choucroute can be refrigerated for up to 2 days before serving.