Slow Cooker Rice Congee with Chicken
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Slideshow: More Slow Cooker Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 quart water
- 4 quarter-size slices of fresh ginger, plus 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 6 scallions—2 whole, 4 thinly sliced
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Chinese sausages (optional)
- Chopped roasted peanuts, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and hot sauce, for serving
- In the slow cooker, combine the rice, stock, water, sliced ginger and whole scallions. Cover and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until the rice has broken down and is soupy, about 4 hours.
- Pick out and discard the ginger and whole scallions. Stir the chicken into the congee. Cover and cook on high, stirring a few times, until the chicken is white throughout, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover the Chinese sausages with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until heated through, about 6 minutes. Drain the sausages and cut them into thin slices.
- Season the congee with salt and ladle into bowls. Pass the sliced sausages, minced ginger, sliced scallions, peanuts, soy sauce, sesame oil and hot sauce at the table.
Make AheadThe congee can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently, whisking well to break up any lumps.