- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 quart water
- 4 quarter-size slices of fresh ginger, plus 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 6 scallions—2 whole, 4 thinly sliced
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Chinese sausages (optional)
- Chopped roasted peanuts, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and hot sauce, for serving
- In the slow cooker, combine the rice, stock, water, sliced ginger and whole scallions. Cover and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until the rice has broken down and is soupy, about 4 hours.
- Pick out and discard the ginger and whole scallions. Stir the chicken into the congee. Cover and cook on high, stirring a few times, until the chicken is white throughout, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover the Chinese sausages with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until heated through, about 6 minutes. Drain the sausages and cut them into thin slices.
- Season the congee with salt and ladle into bowls. Pass the sliced sausages, minced ginger, sliced scallions, peanuts, soy sauce, sesame oil and hot sauce at the table.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.