Slow Cooker Puerto Rican Chicken in Green Sauce
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 5 HRS
- SERVINGS: 6
- 6 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 6 skinless chicken thighs (bone-in)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups packed cilantro leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 large jalapeños, chopped with seeds included
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 pound medium red skinned potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Steamed rice and lime wedges, for serving
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and the cumin. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the cilantro, garlic, jalapeños, onion, red and green bell peppers, wine and the 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and puree.
- Transfer the puree to a slow cooker and stir in the chicken stock. Add the chicken and potatoes. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, shifting the chicken and potatoes a few times, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes in shallow bowls and ladle the sauce all around. Serve with rice and lime wedges.
Make Ahead The chicken stew can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently.
Lush, blackberry-inflected Washington state Merlot.