© Helene Dujardin
Slow Cooker Puerto Rican Chicken in Green Sauce
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 5 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
- 6 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 6 skinless chicken thighs (bone-in)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups packed cilantro leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 large jalapeños, chopped with seeds included
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 pound medium red skinned potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Steamed rice and lime wedges, for serving
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and the cumin. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the cilantro, garlic, jalapeños, onion, red and green bell peppers, wine and the 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and puree.
- Transfer the puree to a slow cooker and stir in the chicken stock. Add the chicken and potatoes. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, shifting the chicken and potatoes a few times, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes in shallow bowls and ladle the sauce all around. Serve with rice and lime wedges.
Make AheadThe chicken stew can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently.
Lush, blackberry-inflected Washington state Merlot.