- 1 pound pinto beans—soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound meaty slab bacon in one piece
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat until the beans are tender, glazed and coated in a thick sauce, about 16 hours. Discard the bacon and bay leaf and serve.
The baked beans can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.