Slow Cooker Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
These meatballs are served in a bowl, but they are equally delicious with spaghetti or on a hoagie roll.
- Two 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large basil sprig plus 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using your hands, crush the tomatoes into a slow cooker and add their juices. Add the olive oil, tomato paste, basil sprig, crushed red pepper and half of the garlic. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, until the tomato sauce is very flavorful.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the ground chuck with the remaining garlic and the bread crumbs, egg, 3 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Roll the mixture into 18 meatballs, being careful not to pack them too firmly.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour longer, until no trace of pink remains in the center of the meatballs. Discard the basil sprig. Add 1 tablespoon of the sliced basil to the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the meatballs into bowls, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sliced basil and serve, passing grated cheese at the table.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.