© Fredrika Stjärne
Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks with Lemon, Dill and Feta
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
More Lamb Recipes
- 4 lamb shanks (about 4 1/2 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 dill sprigs plus 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced, and seeds picked out
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cooked orzo, for serving
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and dust with the flour, shaking off any excess. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Cook the lamb shanks over moderately high heat, in batches if necessary, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer the shanks to a slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, dill sprigs, garlic, onion and lemon. Cover and cook on high until the lamb is tender, about 4 hours.
- Transfer the shanks to shallow bowls and keep warm. Skim the fat from the cooking juices. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the chopped dill and the lemon juice and season the juices with salt and pepper. Spoon the juices along with the onion and lemon over the lamb shanks. Sprinkle with the feta and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of chopped dill and serve with orzo.
Make AheadThe cooked lamb shanks can be refrigerated in their liquid for up to 2 days. Skim the fat from the cooking juices and finish the sauce shortly before serving.
Lemon-inflected, herbal Greek white.