Â© Fredrika StjÃ¤rne
Slow Cooker Ginger-Beef Noodle Soup
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This gingery soup features meaty shiitake mushrooms, shredded beef chuck and chewy Japanese udon noodles.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck in one piece
- 8 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced peeled ginger (4 ounces)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 star anise pod
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, caps only, thickly sliced
- 3 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh Chinese egg noodles or thick Japanese udon
- Toasted sesame oil or hot chili oil, for serving
- In a slow cooker, combine the meat with the broth, water, soy sauce, ginger, onion, garlic and star anise. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, until the meat is tender. Transfer the meat to a plate and let cool slightly. Using 2 forks, pull the meat into thick shreds.
- Strain the broth, discarding the solids. Return the broth to the cooker. Add the shiitakes, scallions and shredded meat. Cook on high for 15 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain well.
- Add the noodles to the soup. Serve in deep bowls, passing the sesame or chili oil at the table.
Make AheadThe soup can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated for up to 4 days.