Slow Cooker Classic Pot Roast
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 5 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
Plus: F&W's Beef Cooking Guide
More Beef Dishes
- One 4-pound chuck eye pot roast, tied
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound large carrots, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups beef broth
- 6 thyme sprigs and 2 bay leaves tied in a bundle
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, quartered
- Buttered egg noodles and prepared horseradish, for serving
- Season the roast generously with salt and pepper and dust with flour, tapping off the excess. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the roast and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until deeply browned all over, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the roast to a slow cooker. Add the carrots, onion, garlic, beef broth and herb bundle and season with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours, until the meat is tender.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board, cover with foil and keep warm. Pour the contents of the cooker into a colander set over a heatproof bowl; discard the herb bundle. Transfer the carrots to a bowl and keep warm.
- Skim the fat off of the cooking liquid. In a small bowl, blend the butter with 2 tablespoons of flour to make a paste. Return the cooking liquid to the slow cooker and whisk in the butter paste. Cook on high until the gravy is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Untie the roast. Slice the meat and arrange on a large, deep platter. Scatter the carrots and mushrooms all around and pour the gravy on top. Serve with egg noodles and horseradish.
Make AheadThe pot roast can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.