Â© Fredrika StjÃ¤rne
Slow Cooker Beef Goulash
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HR 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This warming eastern European short rib stew is best served in deep bowls over buttery noodles.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Sour cream and buttered noodles, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Brown half of the short ribs in the skillet over moderately high heat, about 12 minutes. Transfer them to a slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Repeat with the remaining short ribs.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic and carrots and cook over low heat, stirring, until the onion is barely softened, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, caraway and coriander and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker. Add the stock, thyme and bay leaves, cover and bring to a boil on high. Cook for 4 hours, until the meat is very tender. Discard the bay leaves and thyme and spoon off as much fat from the sauce as possible. Serve the goulash in deep bowls with a dollop of sour cream and buttered noodles.
Make AheadThe goulash can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.