- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 very large yellow onion, minced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Two 2-ounce cans anchovies in oil, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 3 1/2 pounds mixed green and yellow beans, such as romano, yellow wax and green beans
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a very large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, anchovies and capers, cover and cook over moderate heat until the tomatoes just begin to break down, about 5 minutes. Add the mixed beans and lemon zest, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 cup of water, cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the beans are very tender and beginning to fall apart, about 45 minutes; add more water if the beans become too dry. Stir in the lemon juice and chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve.
The beans can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.