- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Kosher salt
- One 3-ounce can imported tuna packed in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained small capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick
- Thickly sliced country bread, for serving
- In a blender, combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the parsley and process until smooth. Season lightly with salt. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the parsley oil to a small bowl. Add the flaked tuna, the mayonnaise, water, capers, lemon juice, anchovies, garlic and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the blender and puree until creamy. Season the tonnato sauce with salt and pepper.
- Spoon some of the tonnato sauce onto 6 plates and arrange the tomatoes on top. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the remaining sauce on the tomatoes, then drizzle the reserved parsley oil on top and serve with bread.
Make AheadThe tonnato sauce can be refrigerated overnight.
A spicy rosé will contrast with the salty, tangy flavors here. Try one from Sicily or Provence.