Sliced Oranges with Thyme Syrup
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Oranges and thyme are magical together in this simple and elegant dessert. If you want a completely clear syrup without the bits of thyme, put the leaves in a tea ball and remove it once the syrup is chilled.
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 3-inch strips lemon zest
- 4 navel oranges
- In a medium stainless-steel saucepan, combine the wine, water, sugar, thyme, and lemon zest. Bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a stainless-steel knife, peel the oranges down to the flesh, removing all of the white pith. Cut the oranges crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Add the oranges to the simmering syrup. Remove from the heat and let sit 1 to 2 minutes. Gently pour the oranges and syrup into a glass or stainless-steel bowl. Let cool and then chill.