- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 6 large plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Hass avocado, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Twelve 9-inch flour tortillas, warmed
In a medium bowl, mix the red wine and olive oil with 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons of the garlic. Add the skirt steak and toss to coat, then let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another bowl, toss the tomatoes with the jalapeños, onion, cilantro, lime juice and the remaining 1 teaspoon of garlic. Season the salsa with salt and pepper.
Light a grill or heat a grill pan. Remove the steak from the marinade; season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until medium rare, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let stand for 3 minutes.
Thinly slice the steak across the grain and arrange on a platter. Serve with the salsa, avocado slices, shredded cheese, sour cream and warm tortillas.