© Frances Janisch
Skillet-Roasted Spiced Okra
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Indian spices like cumin. The crispy okra is delicious on its own or with yogurt and lentils.
Kevin's Tip: Skillet-roasting okra in hot oil makes it crispy, not slimy.
More Healthy Vegetables
- 3/4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of ground fenugreek (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound small okra, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a small bowl, blend the paprika with the cumin, coriander, fennel, turmeric, cinnamon and fenugreek.
- In each of 2 large nonstick skillets, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the okra, cut side down, and cook over high heat for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until browned on the bottom, 4 minutes longer. Turn the okra and cook over low heat until tender, 2 minutes. Season with salt and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Drizzle the lemon juice over the okra and serve.
NotesOne Serving 99 cal, 9 gm carb, 7 gm fat, 1.3 gm sat fat, 2 gm protein, 4 gm fiber.
Serve WithCooked brown lentils blended with yogurt, cucumber and arugula puree.
Earthy, minerally Savennières.