- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups Valencia or other medium-grain rice (about 9 ounces)
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup drained chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Add the drumsticks and cook over moderately high heat until browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, saffron and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the chorizo and tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and simmer over moderately high heat until the liquid has slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and season with pepper.
- Nestle the chicken in the rice and cover tightly with foil. Bake the paella in the center of the oven for 30 minutes. Turn the oven up to 450°. Scatter the peas over the paella and arrange the clams, hinge down, on top. Cover with foil and bake for about 8 minutes, or until the clams are open and the chicken is cooked through. Loosen the foil and let the paella stand for a few minutes. Garnish with the scallions and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.