- 4 slices of coarse peasant bread, cut 1/2 inch thick and toasted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 ounces thinly sliced hard sheep cheese, such as Kasseri, Kashkaval or Etorki
- 1 teaspoon aniseed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- Brush one side of each slice of toast with olive oil, then rub with the cut garlic. Set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, arrange the cheese slices in a single layer and cook over moderately low heat until melted, about 3 minutes. Season with the aniseed and pepper. Put the toast slices on top and press into the cheese. Lift the slices out, coated with the melted cheese.
Contributed By Anne Disrude Photo Published