- 4 slices of coarse peasant bread, cut 1/2 inch thick and toasted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 ounces thinly sliced hard sheep cheese, such as Kasseri, Kashkaval or Etorki
- 1 teaspoon aniseed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Brush one side of each slice of toast with olive oil, then rub with the cut garlic. Set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, arrange the cheese slices in a single layer and cook over moderately low heat until melted, about 3 minutes. Season with the aniseed and pepper. Put the toast slices on top and press into the cheese. Lift the slices out, coated with the melted cheese.
Contributed By Anne Disrude