- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- One 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces, backbone removed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large, shallow bowl, toss the flour with the salt, pepper and paprika. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour and arrange them without touching on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- In each of 2 large cast-iron skillets, heat 1/2 inch of oil until shimmering. Fry the chicken pieces, skin side up, over moderately high heat, turning often, until golden brown and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes; reduce the heat to moderately low to keep the chicken at a steady sizzle. Transfer the chicken to a rack set over a sheet pan to drain, then serve hot with lemon wedges.
This juicy, lemon-accented chicken can be dramatically set off with a lighter Sauternes from the Barsac appellation.