© Petrina Tinslay
Skillet Corn Bread with Corn Relish
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes one 10-inch round corn bread
Corn relish provides all the seasoning required for this slightly sweet corn bread. The relish also adds heft, making the corn bread substantial enough to serve as a vegetarian lunch with a green salad and some sliced tomatoes.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups well-drained Corn Relish with Roasted Peppers
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat and add 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a large glass measuring cup, melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter in a microwave oven. Whisk in the eggs and milk until blended. Add the liquid ingredients and the Corn Relish to the cornmeal mixture and stir with a spatula just until the batter is evenly moistened.
- Scrape the batter into the hot skillet and spread it evenly. Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the corn bread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the skillet to a rack and let the corn bread cool for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
Make Ahead The corn bread can be wrapped in foil and refrigerated for 3 days. Rewarm the corn bread before serving.