- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups well-drained Corn Relish with Roasted Peppers
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat and add 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a large glass measuring cup, melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter in a microwave oven. Whisk in the eggs and milk until blended. Add the liquid ingredients and the Corn Relish to the cornmeal mixture and stir with a spatula just until the batter is evenly moistened.
- Scrape the batter into the hot skillet and spread it evenly. Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the corn bread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the skillet to a rack and let the corn bread cool for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
The corn bread can be wrapped in foil and refrigerated for 3 days. Rewarm the corn bread before serving.