- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Vegetable oil
- 8 large rye or whole-grain crackers, such as Ryvita
- 8 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, cut into thin strips
- Eight 1/4 -inch-thick slices of Cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
In a medium skillet, toast the curry powder over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer the curry powder to a plate to cool and wipe out the skillet. Rub the skillet lightly with oil and set 2 rye crackers in the pan. Arrange one-eighth of the sun-dried tomato strips on each cracker and season with salt. Top each with a slice of Cheddar, a few scallion slices and 1 to 2 large pinches of curry powder. Cover the skillet and cook over moderately low heat until the cheese has melted, about 4 minutes. Serve hot from the skillet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
A glass of California Chardonnay would be welcome with these open-faced snacks; a nonvintage brut sparkling wine from California would lend a touch of luxury.