Sizzling Shrimp Scampi
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Scampi refers to shrimp that are split, brushed with garlicky butter and broiled. The recipe here calls for flavoring butter with lemon, garlic, parsley and thyme, then dotting it liberally on shrimp and roasting the shellfish until it sizzles.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds large shrimpshelled and deveined, tails left on
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced basil leaves
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a medium bowl, mix the butter with the garlic, 2 teaspoons of the parsley, the lemon zest, lemon juice and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large gratin dish, arrange the shrimp, tails up, in a circular pattern. Dot the shrimp with the flavored butter and roast for about 10 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and the butter is bubbling. Sprinkle the shrimp with the remaining 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley and the basil leaves. Serve hot with bread.
Serve with a full-bodied Australian Chardonnay.