Sizzled Veal with Fresh-Herb Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4-6
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups arugula (1 ounce)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup small or torn basil leaves
- 1/4 cup snipped chives (1/2-inch lengths)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds veal scallopine, cut 1/8 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lemons, very thinly sliced crosswise and seeded
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 tablespoon of the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. In a large bowl, toss the arugula with the parsley, basil, chives and mint.
- Put the veal scallopine on 2 large baking sheets and season both sides with salt and pepper. Dust with the flour and shake off the excess.
- In each of 2 large skillets, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Add the scallopine to the skillets in a single layer, without crowding, and cook over high heat until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to 1 of the skillets and cook the remaining veal.
- Pour off the oil and add the butter to the skillet. Cook over moderately high heat until the butter starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon slices and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the skillet and cook until the slices sizzle, about 1 minute. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Transfer the veal to plates and pour the sauce on top. Toss the herb salad with the vinaigrette, mound alongside the veal and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.