Sirloin Steak with Radish Relish
- SERVINGS: 4
Although the minced relish looks delicate, it has a peppery, spicy punch. You can use a rib-eye steak of similar weight and thickness in place of the sirloin.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- One 2-pound sirloin steak, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large red radishes, finely diced
- 1 small zucchinihalved lengthwise, seeded and finely diced
- 1 fresh red cayenne chile, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
- In a large, shallow baking dish, combine the soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil. Add the steak, turn to coat and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate for up to 4 hours; turn often.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the cayenne pepper over moderate heat until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Scrape the cayenne into a small bowl and add the vegetable oil and a pinch of salt. Let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- In a bowl, combine the diced radishes, zucchini and fresh cayenne chile. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil until almost smoking. Remove the steak from the marinade, season with salt and sear over moderately high heat until deeply browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn the steak over and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the meat registers 120°. Transfer the steak to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- To serve, slice the steak against the grain 1/4 inch thick and arrange on 4 plates. Garnish with the radish relish, drizzle with the cayenne oil and serve.
The crispness and heat from the fresh chile-radish relish combined with the warm, slow burn of the cayenne oil and, of course, the succulence of the beef, complement the strong fruitiness of a Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.