Singaporean Sautéed Asparagus with Ginger
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Bryant Ng uses a salted duck egg yolk in his sauce for grilled asparagus. Home cooks can get the same delicious effect with a creamy sauce made with hard-cooked egg yolk, cream, ginger, garlic and chiles.
More Fast Asian Recipes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for grilling
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, plus about 20 thin matchsticks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 hard-cooked egg yolk, mashed to a paste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound medium asparagus
- 1 Chinese sausage link (2 to 3 ounces), thinly sliced (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon sauerkraut, squeezed dry
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil. Add the Thai chile, minced ginger and half of the garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the butter and swirl until melted. Add the egg yolk and whisk until blended. Add the cream, season with salt and pepper and simmer just until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan; oil the grates. Grill the asparagus, turning occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a work surface and cut them into 2-inch lengths. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the Chinese sausage, sauerkraut, ginger matchsticks and the remaining garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and scallion and stir-fry until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in half of the sauce. Transfer the asparagus to a platter and drizzle with the remaining sauce. Serve right away.
Chinese sausage is available at Asian markets and in the refrigerated section of many large supermarkets.
Bright, grassy Sauvignon Blanc from France’s Loire Valley.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.