- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, finely chopped, juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Anchovy variation Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook over low heat until the garlic is golden, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes with their juice and the tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Soak 3/4 cup of dried porcini mushrooms (3/4 ounce) in 3/4 cup of boiling water until softened, about 20 minutes. Rub the porcini to remove any grit and coarsely chop them. Reserve the soaking liquid. Add the porcini to the saucepan when the garlic is golden and cook for 1 minute. When the sauce is done, add the reserved porcini soaking liquid, stopping when you reach the grit, and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 large dried chile when you cook the garlic. Discard the chile before serving the sauce.
- Add 4 finely chopped oil-packed anchovy fillets when you cook the garlic.
The tomato sauces can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.
One 1/2-cup serving: 56 calories, 2.3 gm total fat, 0.3 gm saturated fat.