Simple Herbed Dressing
- SERVINGS: 10 TO 12
You will need to dry the bread for at least 2 hours before making this dressing.
Chef Holiday Recipes Made Easy
- Southern-Style Corn Bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice (see Note)
- 2 cups white bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice (4 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced sage
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Spread the corn bread and white bread on large baking sheets in a single layer. Let dry for 2 to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bake the bread for 12 minutes, stirring, until lightly browned. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and celery and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the stock, eggs, parsley, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and spread the dressing in it. Cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, or until hot throughout. Uncover and bake about 20 minutes, or until a brown crust forms.
Make AheadThe unbaked dressing can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
NotesThis dressing can also be made usingin place of the corn bread and the 2 cups of white bread a 1-pound loaf of white, French or Italian bread.