Simple Herbed Dressing
- SERVINGS: 10 TO 12
You will need to dry the bread for at least 2 hours before making this dressing.
- Southern-Style Corn Bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice (see Note)
- 2 cups white bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice (4 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced sage
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Spread the corn bread and white bread on large baking sheets in a single layer. Let dry for 2 to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bake the bread for 12 minutes, stirring, until lightly browned. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and celery and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the stock, eggs, parsley, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and spread the dressing in it. Cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, or until hot throughout. Uncover and bake about 20 minutes, or until a brown crust forms.