- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- Vanilla Custard Sauce
How to make this recipe
- In a small saucepan, combine the wine and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon. Simmer over moderate heat until a candy thermometer registers 248°, about 15 minutes.
- In a heatproof mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar at moderate speed until soft peaks form. Then, beating constantly at high speed, slowly pour the hot wine syrup into the egg whites. Continue beating until the whites are stiff and glossy.
- Spoon the soft meringue into a serving bowl or decorative wineglasses. Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts, garnish with mint and serve. Pass the <Vanilla Custard Sauce separately.