Silky Red Peppers with White Anchovies and Watercress
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
- 4 red bell peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 8 marinated or white anchovies
- 2 cups small watercress sprigs (2 ounces)
- 20 salted roasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Put the bell peppers on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil and roast for about 25 minutes, or until blistered but not collapsed. When cool enough to handle, peel the peppers and halve them lengthwise.
- Layer the peppers in an 8-inch skillet. Scatter the sliced garlic over the peppers, pour the 1/2 cup of olive oil on top and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook the peppers until they are very soft and the garlic is tender, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers to a plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons of the pepper oil with the vinegar and season with salt.
- Spread 2 pepper halves on each plate, peeled side up, and sprinkle with salt. Top each pepper half with an anchovy. Add the watercress to the dressing and toss to coat. Mound the watercress on the peppers, garnish with the almonds and serve.
Notes One Serving 262 cal, 24 gm total fat, 3 gm saturated fat, 10 gm carb, 3.5 gm fiber.