© John Kernick
Silky Cauliflower Soup
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Plus: Vegetable Tips and Recipes
More Fantastic Soups
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- One 2-pound head of cauliflower, cut into medium-size florets
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Seared Scallops, Herb Salad and Dijon-Roasted Cauliflower, for serving
- In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the onion, shallot and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower, thyme and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is barely softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and water and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over moderately low heat until the cauliflower is softened, about 30 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Working in batches, puree the soup until very smooth. Season with the nutmeg. Serve the soup with Seared Scallops, Herb Salad and Dijon-Roasted Cauliflower.
Make AheadThe soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.