© John Kernick
Silky Burmese-Style Eggplant
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4 side-dish servings
- 2 pounds Asian eggplant
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 dried red chile
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced mint
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Prick the eggplants all over and transfer them to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 50 minutes, until the eggplants are very soft. Let cool to warm. Halve the eggplants lengthwise and scoop the soft flesh into a bowl. Using a fork, beat in the egg until the mixture is fluffy.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the chile and shallot and cook over moderately high heat for 30 seconds. Add the eggplant mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until very smooth, 1 minute. Season with salt and transfer to a bowl. Discard the chile. Top the eggplant with the herbs and serve.
One Serving: 123 cal, 7 gm fat, 0.8 gm sat fat, 14 gm carb, 8 gm fiber, 4 gm protein.