- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup drained and chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 1 6-ounce can tuna, drained
- 1 2-ounce tin anchovy fillets, drained and minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red- or white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thin-sliced basil or mint leaves
How to make this recipe
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in the rice and boil until just done, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly. Put the rice in a large glass or stainless-steel bowl.
Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, toast the pine nuts over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Or toast the pine nuts in a 350° oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir the toasted pine nuts, the sun-dried tomatoes, capers, onion, tuna, and anchovies into the rice. Toss the rice salad with the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and basil.
If you'd like more anchovy flavor, use some of the oil from the anchovy tin in place of some of the olive oil.
Add a handful of chopped pitted green or black olives.
The wine scene on the sun-baked island of Sicily is dominated by a few large players, one of which is the firm of Regaleali. Their inexpensive rosé is a delight and an appropriate choice for this salad.